Return to Website

All Inflatables.com Inflatable Boat Forum

Welcome to our inflatable boats forum. Feel free to post a message.

Profanity, racist comments and other postings done in poor taste will be removed immediately and your IP will be banned form this service. 

All Inflatables.com Inflatable Boat Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: sinking inflatable

Depends on the puncture, if it's a small one like that from a fish hook or thorn, your chances of making it back to camp are very good. Of course that also depends on how far you are from camp and the type of water you're navigating at the time. If it's something like a tube failure, then your chances are slim, but again it depends on how far you're from camp.

I had a tube failure this summer and was able to make it to camp without problems, but I was only like half a US mile from the ramp.

On the other hand, 2 years ago I had a thorn puncture one of the tubes and didn't have any problems (deflating) until I removed the thorn from the puncture .

There is a new product on the market that temporarily seals your tube until you make it back. Seek for the "clam" over the internet. It generates a vacuum and by that it seals the puncture, just don't ask me about the exact details of operation.

Happy boating...

Omar, hello, explaine how did your tube failure occure? How did you repair it? ED

It was a seam failure in the back of the tube. You know, where other boats will start the cone of the tube, not the very end, but where the rounded tube becomes the cone, that´s where SeaEagles have a rounded pontoon. That's where it happened. Basically several holes developed as the tube and the tube end seam fell apart (became unglued).

It was not repairable, I had to replace the complete hull. Hope this helps. If you've got more questions, email me.

Re: Re: sinking inflatable

Thank you for all your information,

I think if I had a punchure, we are generally fairly close to the shore, so should be ok.

I read that it always good to get your children used to the water and floating in there life jackets, so if something does happen its just like going for a swim and not a big panic.

I have thought about taking my out board off (when on my own, in shallow water) and letting a tube down just to see what happens, but this might be a bit extreme.

anyway thanks for all the replys

David

Re: Re: Re: sinking inflatable

Hello All,

I'm sure you'll be ok with a tube deflated. I found this video showing that with one tube deflated, your still ok.

http://www.airaquatics.net/store/index.php?main_page=page&id=70&chapter=0&zenid=2b8b1f63716220a0afa681e6fe009baf