Return to Website

All Inflatables.com Inflatable Boat Forum

Welcome to our inflatable boats forum. Feel free to post a message.

Profanity, racist comments and other postings done in poor taste will be removed immediately and your IP will be banned form this service. 

All Inflatables.com Inflatable Boat Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Sea Eagle or Saturn

Thank you for responding to my questions. I currently have a 12.6 on order which should get here in a few days. I have also added the wheels, transom seat, and bench cover/storage.
After reading your response, I am now certain that I have made the right decision. Currently, I am just going to power it with a 55lb trolling motor since many of the lakes in my area are electric motor only. I will also be taking the NJ required boating course so that I can use a gas powered engine. I plan on getting a 20hp as these weigh around 114lbs and should still provide enough to power this boat in lakes. Since I will not be trailering this boat, the motor weight was a concern as anything over 20hp gets close to 200lb in weight. Although the red it more visible, it may also be less reflective than the silver which may cause more heating of the tubes when it is out in the sun ( only a theory ).
As mentioned I should be getting this soon, although it did arrive a few days ago, but only to recieve the wrong item ( 10.6SR ). I can wait though as the it was a mistake by the seller and they are now sending me a 12.6 for the price of a 10.6.
BTW, I am curious as to how long it takes you to set up and take down your boat. I am also trying to see a quick way to completely remove the wheels without using a wrench. I was looking at some trailer pull pins, but could not find any 5/8 sizes. Not a big deal, but just trying to make it portable as possible.

Re: Sea Eagle or Saturn

The wheels I´ve got have a permanent piece attached to the transom. Other than that, the wheels can be taken off completely.

I'm sure you'll be very happy with your purchase, just carry enough batteries. I used mine back in 99 with a 36Lbs Minnkota and was happy with it, but they're really designed for an outboard. However, if your lakes are electric only, then by all means go for it. The 36 trolling was capable of generating a small wake, so a 55 I'd assume will make you travel rather fast. Again, just be careful with the batteries a 55 is got to consume a lot of energy.

One last suggestion, assemble and disassemble at home first. The first few times it's somewhat challenging to do so and you also want to make sure you've got all the pieces before that first time.

By the way, when it comes to registration, do it right the first time, get the registration PVC plate (ask the Seaeagle folks for the website, it's another company)and leave errors behind. Vinyl stick on numbers don't stay put, painting the registration takes more than an extremely skilled artist.

Congratulations on your new boat!!!

Omar

Thank you for all of your advise. My boat has arrived and I have had a couple of test runs assembling it at home. At first, the floorboards ere a challenge, but you then begin to find better ways of assembling them after a few runs. Mainly, the directions indicate to partially fill the boat and then install the boards, but on the video, you see that the boat is deflated during installation which makes a huge difference. In addition, piecing together the front two sections before installation also speeds up the process. I have put the boat on one of the lakes yesterday and it performed well with the 55lb thrust motor ( obviously not speedy, but did produce a small wake ). The wheels worked well and are a necessity if moving this boat by yourself. The only issue I had on installing the wheels was that the a coast guard specs. plate was located where I had to drill ( moved and reattached with silicone ) in addtion for the clip holder for the drain plug. The motor mount plate is also a bit low for the trolling motor which I may have to move up about an 1/8 inch. Otherwise, I am very pleased so far with the unit. I plan to get a 20hp engine to use on Lake Hopatcong, but this may be part of next years expense. Hopefully there may be some end of season sales on engines. I will also take your advise on ordering the registration name plate.

Omar,
One more question. I have just registered the boat and I have ordered the vinyl registration numbers as suggested. My question comes down to the motor. You have mentioned that you have a 15 HP motor which I think was a 2 stroke. Since weight is also a concern, not for the boat, but for transporting and assembling, I was wondering if this is a challenge with your current engine. Since most 15 to 20 HP 4 strokes weigh 114 lbs, I am not sure is this will be too much of a struggle, but I would also hate to be underpowered.

Yeaph, my OB is a Mercury 15HP 2 stroke, which is quite easy to deal with, even with just one person.

With that said, in the US you can't get a 2 stroke anymore, so your choice goes back to 114 Lbs of metal to be carried around. If your boating party includes 2 guys, then it still shouldn't be too much of an issue to deal with. Keep in mind that you ordered the wheels, so carrying should only be from the vehicle to the transom (boat fully assembled) and then steered to the water which will be a breeze. Once there ON the water, load the rest, gas tank, fishing gear, etc.

My advice...get the 20HP 4 stroke...That is as much as you'll be able to carry reasonably safe and you won't be underpowered, unless you want to go from Seattle to Hawaii on this boat in which case you'll have too little boat anyways!!

Once you get too little outboard, the only way to change that is spending a lot more money on a trade-up. This comes from somebody eeeaaaggggeeeerrr to get a new 20HP Mercury 4 stroke, but sadly short of funds for the moment to even go fishing

Now, the 15HP will be rather decent in getting you back and forth, in my case I just feel is not enough. The best thing you could have is to try out both on YOUR boat to help you out make up your mind, but that's rather difficult.

Good luck with your choice.

Omar

hey Joe, any updates on your boat?

I love this boat. Although you have to deal with some setup time, it stored away in my basement and its now ready for another season. So far I have only taken it out twice this year due to the weather, but it will definitly get its use. Due to HP resrictions at some of the lake, I got a great deal on a 9.9 HP 4 stroke Nissan which surpising pushes the boat very well.