Return to Website

All Inflatables.com Inflatable Boat Forum

Welcome to our inflatable boats forum. Feel free to post a message.

Profanity, racist comments and other postings done in poor taste will be removed immediately and your IP will be banned form this service. 

All Inflatables.com Inflatable Boat Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Applying Registration Numbers to Hypalon

We have recently purchased a used Zodiac with hypalon tubes (we think). We need to apply new registration numbers to the tubes, and wonder what type of paint is safe to use on the hypalon. Any advice?

Re: Applying Registration Numbers to Hypalon

Have you considered using a plastic 3X18 inch piece of thin plastic to mount vinyl letters and tying that to the rope rails or rings on your boat. Paint is nasty for the next person. It took me a long time to get rid of it on a used boat I bought.

You can get the plastic "board" at West Marine and the letters and numbers too.

New regulations in many states do not allow you to use hanging placards or "temporary" registration plates. They must be permanently attached to the boat. There is a long model number on your transom, write it down, call an inflatable dealer, and they will be able to tell you if it is pvc or hypalon. You need to know to get the right glue. There is a kit you can order your reg number on for about $35. It looks nice and glues right to the boat. Permanent and professional. Paint peels quickly after a year and looks terrible.

If the hull is not black, you can use marking pen and a stencil. It's easily renewed. Have to say I've only tried in on a PVC boat, but it worked great.