Return to Website

All Inflatables.com Inflatable Boat Forum

Welcome to our inflatable boats forum. Feel free to post a message.

Profanity, racist comments and other postings done in poor taste will be removed immediately and your IP will be banned form this service. 

All Inflatables.com Inflatable Boat Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
One cylinder engines, do they vibrate?

Hi,
I have a 10.6 SR Sea Eagle inflatable that I've been powering with a 30 lb thrust trolling motor. It works, but not very well. I'd like to get an outboard but I've had a hard time finding a used 2 stroke.

My options are a new 4 stroke 9.8 which would be great, but heavy at 81 lbs. I'm not sure I can carry it myself and it's a little more weight than I want on the transom.

Another option is a 6 hp 4 stroke, which would work OK, probably not plane the boat, but it only weighs 51 lbs, which I can handle.

I'm wondering if anyone has comments on the 6 hp engine because it's a single cylinder and I've heard they tend to vibrate a lot. Especially at low speeds which is what I mostly do when fishing. I guess I'm also wondering if anyone has lugged an 81 lb outboard and how difficult it was to carry.

Thanks for any advice.
Dan

Re: One cylinder engines, do they vibrate?

Can't answer on the vibration but I have a 12.6 Seaeagle powered by a 77Lbs 15 HP (2 stroke) Mercury. It's managable. I'm by no means physically built, haven't exercised for the most part of my life and I can manage the outboard alone, granted, I don't carry it for a mile! Mostly it's load-unload, the boat has wheels so I it's a short trip from the trunk to the boat and then easily taken to the water. So, if carrying weight is an issue, I don't think 81Lbs would give you much trouble. You'd need to be a bit more careful given the oil issue. When it comes to the outboard, get the largest option you can get, then you won't have to look back and guess what if ....

HTH,