Return to Website

Camp Pope Bookshop

Welcome to the Civil War in the Trans-Mississippi! This is a place where all who share an interest in the Civil War fought west of the Mississippi River can gather to ask questions, share information, and announce news.

Camp Pope Bookshop
Start a New Topic 
1 2 3 4 5 6
Topic
Author
Views
Replies
Last Post
112th Illinois Infantry
I am interested in the 112th Illinois Infantry as my greatgrandfather, Judson Atwood, was a private in Co. I. There is a history written by one of the captains of the unit that I would like to acquire.
Views: 338   Replies: 1
Last Post: Nov 24, 2003 10:05pm
by Clark Kenyon
d
Drew W
bravenet
the bravenet forums now have advertisements insidiously creeping down the right side of the screen. pretty soon they'll round the bottom and come up the left and there'll be no room for messages.
Views: 331   Replies: 1
Last Post: Nov 23, 2003 9:15pm
by Clark Kenyon
Looking for info about 1st Arkansas book "With Honor Untarnished"
"With Honor Untarnished: the Story of the First Arkansas Infantry Regiment, Confederate States Army" by John Hammock Has anyone ever heard of this book or have any opinion about it if they have? thanks in advance. Drew
Views: 382   Replies: 3
Last Post: Oct 25, 2003 5:36pm
by Clark Kenyon
Uniform
Can anyone help me find the correct type and colors of the uniform for the 19th Iowa Volunteers. I need a complete discriptionincluding insignias , stripes and piping. Thanks
Views: 276   Replies: 0
Last Post: Oct 23, 2003 6:17pm
by Hugh Livesay
Looking for location of booklet " Four Years for the Union by James Vanorsdol"
I'm trying to locate and get copy or a facsimile copy of a booklet (80 pages) by a soldier that served in the 4th Iowa Cavalry. Maybe even a direction to a library that has a copy would help! Thanks a lot, Wayne
Views: 291   Replies: 3
Last Post: Oct 14, 2003 10:49pm
by Charles Misulia
3rd Iowa Calvary
I am looking for information regarding the 3rd Iowa Calvary Regiment. They participated in several skirmishes in Arkansas. Their battle honors shows Salem, Arkansas. I am looking to find specific info regarding this skirmish.
Views: 175   Replies: 1
Last Post: Oct 4, 2003 12:44am
by John Gunter
video production on reenactors
I am a community access producer in Muscatine,Iowa who would like to create a documentary video on civil war reenactors. I would like to know how many reenactors would be interested in participating through oral history interviews. Please respond by e-mail. I am loo...
Views: 237   Replies: 0
Last Post: Sep 20, 2003 9:18pm
by John Elshoff
New Civil War Navies Message Board
Hi, This is Jim Martin with the Civil War Message Boards at History-Sites.Com . For those of you interested in the nautical history of the Civil War, I've recently opened "The Civil War Navies Message Board" at http://history-sites.com/cgi-bin/boards/cwnavy/ . We...
Views: 270   Replies: 0
Last Post: Aug 27, 2003 9:53am
by Jim Martin
Trans-Mississippi CSA Navy Captain Discord!
Im looking for books,diaries,etc. that expound on discord among Confederate Navy captains and military authorities primarily those in Confederate Navy Jim Miles author of A River Unvexed mentions!
Views: 243   Replies: 0
Last Post: Aug 23, 2003 2:38pm
by Butch Harmon
Ironclad CSS Arkansas
Can anyone please recommend some good books on this famed ship armored at Yazoo City,Ms.?
Views: 276   Replies: 2
Last Post: Aug 9, 2003 11:41pm
by Clark Kenyon
"Bakers Gone Ahead"
I was interested in purchasing "Bakers Gone Ahead" by Leland Smith. Was wondering if anyone out there had read it and if so what did you think? Respectfully, Greg Colvin
Views: 283   Replies: 1
Last Post: Aug 7, 2003 4:48pm
by Clark Kenyon
Civil War Seminar
OLD STATE HOUSE MUSEUM HOSTS CIVIL WAR SEMINAR FOR IMMEDIATE ARKANSAS RELEASE – JUNE 27, 2003 LITTLE ROCK, AR – The Old State House Museum will host its 2nd annual Civil War seminar, “As Much as Humanity Can Stand”: The 140th Anniversary of the Little Rock Ca...
Views: 265   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jul 16, 2003 1:48pm
by Amy Peck
More on Jerry Ponder
I read the messages back in May on Jerry Ponder. I did write an article for the St. Louis in the Civil War website and Kirby Ross and others challenged my use of references to Colonel Timothy Reeves and Major James Wilson provided in Jerry Ponder's book. While not em...
Views: 393   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 28, 2003 8:02am
by Howard Mann
Colonel Rebel Benched At Ole Miss!
What do yall think of the University of Mississippi trying to erase their Confederate past by telling Colonel Rebel to scram from football sideline?
Views: 162   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 21, 2003 9:46am
by Butch Harmon
Apparently new Price Raid book coming out
Rumor mill. “The Last Hurrah: The Price Raid of 1864” by Dr. Kyle Sinisi. to be published by Scholarly Resources. Someone posted a message about this on one of the CW boards. I've reviewed 3 SR books for magazines and have read others and have found them to be rather...
Views: 278   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 16, 2003 12:01pm
by Drew Wagenhoffer
Battle of Athens
One of the TMN mentions a book called Battle of Athens by Ben Dixon. I assume it is still OP. and all the used book searches come up with zero. Anyway, is this a scholarly work about the battle?
Views: 269   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 14, 2003 8:06pm
by Drew Wagenhoffer
New CW Genealogy Research Site
I've turned up a new Civil War genealogy research site; please check it out at: http://www.civilwarvignettes.com/ This site should be of use to those interested in knowing more details about the death of their CW ancestors on the battlefield.
Views: 235   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 7, 2003 2:27pm
by Tom Simmons
New Book Review
I have posted a new book review by Drew Wagenhoffer. Drew's review of IN THEIR WORDS: A CHRONOLOGY OF THE CIVIL WAR IN CHICOT COUNTY, ARKANSAS AND ADJACENT WATERS OF THE MISSISSIPPI by Don Simons can be read here: http://www.camppope.com/review.htm#simons. Clark
Views: 271   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 1, 2003 5:57am
by Clark Kenyon
John Hunt Morgan and Mansfield
One of my customers in a foreign country wants to know what is the definitive study of John Hunt Morgan, and is there a good history of the Battle of Mansfield. Anyone know the answers? Clark
Views: 226   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 29, 2003 7:29pm
by Clark Kenyon
Seeking CW Historian for tv project
I am currently seeking a Civil War historian who would be interested in helping with a docu-drama currently in development. If you are interested, or have any questions, please contact me at aboutentertainment@hotmail.com THERE IS NO NEED TO REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE...
Views: 280   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 23, 2003 11:22am
by Roy Bufis
Confederate flag?
Is the confederate flag ,the one we all know today, the same as the confederate flag during the actual civil war or were and are they different?
Views: 222   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 20, 2003 6:50am
by Katherine
24th MO Inf Regt Book
Does anyone know if Randall Houp plans a reprint or 2nd edition of his book on the 24th MO Infantry Regt?
Views: 206   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 14, 2003 1:54pm
by Jim McGhee
New Review: THE FIFTH SEASON
We have a new review posted on our Book Review page: Mark Scott's THE FIFTH SEASON, reviewed by Drew Wagenhoffer. Read it at http://www.camppope.com/review.htm#mscott. Clark
Views: 199   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 9, 2003 6:24am
by Clark Kenyon
15th Mo. Cav.
William Righter. Too puny to serve. That draft-dodger bugged out and skeddadled for St. Louis right when Shelby implemented his strict conscription policy. Righter, Noble Confederate Hero. What a joke. Didn't it ever occur to anybody that there is no...
Views: 231   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 7, 2003 10:25am
by Mike Patterson
Ponder!
First off, a person needs to question why Jerry Ponder neglected to footnote his book. There might be a good reason. Personally, I feel Ponder's book on the 15th Missouri Cavalry is a bit of an insult to the brave men of that regiment and those of us that h...
Views: 258   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 5, 2003 12:35pm
by Mike Patterson
Concerning Jerry Ponder
There is some controversy about Ponder's book on the 15th Missouri Cavalry and a supposed Christmas Day massacre in Ripley County (check out the review by Ray Burson of the book ENEMY WOMEN at http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbninquiry.asp?isbn=006093809...
Views: 214   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 2, 2003 7:42am
by Clark Kenyon
Ponder books: for Bruce Nicholls
I read with great interested Mr. Nicholls's review of Ponder's book on the 15th Mo Cav. I am always wanting to read more about the CW in the Bootheel region and Mr. Ponder seems to be one of the few that concentrate there. Way back, I bought Ponder's book on Price's...
Views: 307   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 1, 2003 11:22am
by Drew Wagenhoffer
20 Book reviews
We now have 20 book reviews posted at http://www.camppope.com/review.htm.
Views: 199   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 26, 2003 10:47pm
by Clark Kenyon
Book Reviews
17 reviews are up so far at http://www.camppope.com/review.htm/ Keep them coming. Clark
Views: 224   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 26, 2003 9:56am
by Clark Kenyon
New review page at Camp Pope
The review page for books in the Camp Pope catalog is now up. I've contributed the first 10 and I hope lots of other customers will pitch in. It will be a great way to get information about books here that you've always wondered about but maybe were reluctant to take...
Views: 244   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 22, 2003 9:53am
by Drew Wagenhoffer
Proposal for Clark -- and everyone else
Hi Clark, Like perhaps many customers I love getting the catalog and looking at all the interesting titles. The problem is that is the limit of the information. Most of the books are so obscure (to the general CW audience) that you'll never see them reviewed in any...
Views: 259   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 19, 2003 12:57pm
by Drew Wagenhoffer
New CW simulation Campaign Ozark released
Campaign Ozark is the second in the CW operational/tactical computer strategy game series that began with Campaign Corinth. 3 Campaigns are included in the game and a set of scenarios covering Siege of Lexington in Sept 1861. The campaigns are Lyon's Missouri Campai...
Views: 230   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 5, 2003 10:34am
by Drew Wagenhoffer
j
James
TN Civil War Veteran Grave Markers
Hi, Trying to get photos of TN Civil War Markers that might be in various states Cemeteries, out there, Thanks, J M B www.tngenweb.org/civilwar/vcem/index.html or if photo takes alot of space, please send to civilwar@tngenweb.org
Views: 213   Replies: 0
Last Post: Mar 11, 2003 3:38pm
by James
Wood, Larry E. THE CIVIL WAR ON THE LOWER KANSAS-MISSOURI BORDER.
Just wondering if anyone could give a brief review of this book. Clark lists the battles covered by this book in his catalog. I am interested in how well these engagements are covered, how detailed, etc.? thanks Drew
Views: 211   Replies: 0
Last Post: Mar 4, 2003 4:10pm
by Drew Wagenhoffer
h
H.
Norwegians in the Civil War
FYI...there is a new exhibit on Norwegians in the Civil War at Vesterheim Norwegian-American Museum in Decorah, IA. They will soon have a database on their website and a book coming out. Check it out at www.vesterheim.org
Views: 171   Replies: 0
Last Post: Mar 4, 2003 1:30pm
by H.
For Clark: Banasik's Ark books
Hi Clark, You publish some of the books that Banasik has edited and I was wondering if you know if he plans on a 2nd or 3rd volume of a series that starts with Embattled Arkansas. At the end of EA, he promises more to come. Drew
Views: 248   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 28, 2003 10:27am
by Drew Wagenhoffer
8th Iowa Cavalry
I have done considerable research on the campaign of the 8th Iowa Cavalry as part of Wilson's Raid into Alabama in March and April, 1865. Several companies of the 8th, specifically Cos. D and I, attacked the Tannehill Ironworks near Birmingham on March 31, which is t...
Views: 163   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 20, 2003 5:23am
by Jim Bennett
d
Diane
24th Mo Reg. Co. D & G
Looking for someone that might have any photos of the 24th Missouri Reg. Co. D & G Our ancestor, Joseph Oquin & his brother, George M. Oquin both were in these companies. I am presently waiting for someone to send me a copy of the information that is contained in J....
Views: 281   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 6, 2003 10:01pm
by Diane
book search
I am looking for a book titled "CIVIL WAR SOLDIERS OF MADISON COUNTY, MISSOURI AND SURROUNDING AREAS" bY "GERALDINE SMITH". Would appreciate it if anyone could help me. Regards, James
Views: 179   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jan 29, 2003 8:22am
by James Johnson
Regimental Organization?
A regiment was approx 1000 men at full strength made up in companies listed as A company, B company, etc. When the regiment went into battle formation did they line up A company on the right followed by B company, etc.? Also, was the right based on being in front and...
Views: 205   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jan 21, 2003 5:19pm
by Ken Ossian
Views: 169   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jan 21, 2003 5:13pm
by Ken Ossian
8th Iowa Cavalry in 1865
I am researching the activities of the First Brigade of the First Division, Cavalry Corps, Military Department of the Mississippi, in April 1865. Commanded by Brig. Gen. John T. Croxton, this detachment of Wilson's Raid into Alabama destroyed the University of Alaba...
Views: 201   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jan 6, 2003 5:18pm
by Scott W. Owens
for Clark: Porter in N. Mo
Hi Clark, Does your reprint of With Porter in North Missouri have any maps of the battles in it? Thanks. Drew
Views: 273   Replies: 0
Last Post: Dec 13, 2002 6:05pm
by Drew Wagenhoffer
k
Kay
Train Wreck
I have an obituary for William Shuck from the 30th IA Inf, which my great grandfather and his two brothers were also in. In the obit it says: "The Train Wreck - And as the war ended, Mr. Shuck was on his way from a Grand Review in Washington, DC to Baltimore when t...
Views: 186   Replies: 0
Last Post: Dec 7, 2002 3:53pm
by Kay
Wesson carbines
Looking to identify units, and individual soldiers, that used the Wesson carbine/rifle. Most of these units (maybe all but one), were stationed in the Trans-Miss. theatre. So far, I have identified one Kansas unit, a couple of Missouri units, and three Ohio units....
Views: 216   Replies: 0
Last Post: Dec 5, 2002 6:52am
by Hayes Lowe
New Book Chronicles Cabin Creek Battle
My new book on the second battle of Cabin Creek, Indian Territory has been released by Gregath Publishing Company. Entitled "Brilliant Victory," it would make a great gift for the history buff you know, who has "everything." For more information, go to http://www.g...
Views: 174   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 17, 2002 1:39pm
by Steve Warren
Re: Civil War women
There are various sites on the net that you can get info from, for example http://users.erols.com/kfraser/links.html#women or http://www.geocities.com/civilwarlady1861/ Clark --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- Replying to:I am looking to interview a women o...
Views: 166   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 3, 2002 12:47pm
by Clark Kenyon
Civil War women
I am looking to interview a women or someone who knows something about what womens roles were in the Civil War. I would just like to get a womens view of what it was like and to get more information of one who knows a lot. Also, if you know any good websites or boo...
Views: 162   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 3, 2002 12:11pm
by Allison
c
Carol
Iowa 7th Cav., Co. H
Does anyone know where I can get more information on the Iowa 7th Cav., Co. H, that served out of Fort Harker in 1863? My great-granddad, William E. Bates, served in that unit. I would like to know if there are any pictures of his company and how I could get a copy o...
Views: 157   Replies: 0
Last Post: Oct 26, 2002 11:43pm
by Carol
e
Elaine
IA CW Ancestors List
If you have Iowa ancestors who fought in the the Civil War or lived in Iowa during the Civil War years, please join us on the IA-CIVIL-WAR list where we enjoy discussing the history and genealogy of the era. Send an email with the word "subscribe" in the subject l...
Views: 243   Replies: 0
Last Post: Oct 26, 2002 8:06pm
by Elaine
1 2 3 4 5 6
Free Forum powered by Bravenet