Return to Website

Camp Pope Bookshop

Welcome to the Civil War in the Trans-Mississippi! This is a place where all who share an interest in the Civil War fought west of the Mississippi River can gather to ask questions, share information, and announce news.

Camp Pope Bookshop
Start a New Topic 
1 2 3 4 5 6
Topic
Author
Views
Replies
Last Post
Frank M. Suiter, 2nd Iowa Infantry
Searching for letters, journals, and other personal documents referencing the life and military service of Frank M. Suiter. He began his military service as a sergeant in Company B of the Second Iowa Infantry. The regiment distinguished itself in the battles at Fort...
Views: 292   Replies: 1
Last Post: Aug 11, 2012 5:32pm
by George Martin
Select Iowa Regiments at the Vicksburg Siege
Ladies and Gentlemen, I am looking for letters, diaries, journals, newspaper articles, and reminiscences by soldiers and officers from the following Iowa units for the period of the Vicksburg Siege, May 20-July 4, 1863: 3rd Iowa Infantry, 4th Division, XVI Ar...
Views: 384   Replies: 2
Last Post: May 28, 2012 9:28am
by Gerald D. Hodge,...
Historical and Genealogical Research Made Easier
History Book Corner has 1,000s of history and genealogy books, as well as all kind of historical records available for free. I cannot write URL here in the message board, you can just google them by typing History Book Corner and they should come up. I have regist...
Views: 274   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 26, 2012 12:11pm
by History Book Cor...
r
Rick
Re: 21st Iowa Infantry
Carol. Go to the library and get the book "The Twenty-First Regiment Iowa Volunteer Infantry" by George Crooke. --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- Replying to:I am looking for information on the 21st Iowa Infantry. I would like to know what battles they fough...
Views: 190   Replies: 1
Last Post: Dec 23, 2011 7:06am
by eric d. starnes
Pvt Archie Cramer Company H 60th Infantry Regiment USCT (Ist Iowa AD)
Private Cramer died at Powhatan, Arkansas 16 September 1865. I am researching how long the unit was at Powhatan and trying to locate his grave, or general area where they might have be in camp. Does anyone have any information or know of any records of the 60th durin...
Views: 289   Replies: 0
Last Post: Dec 1, 2011 8:59pm
by Jay Tipton
Subject of new book
I am the author of three Civil War books who has just recently begun the research for a fourth. My first books are Lost Soul, Long Time Gone and (the soon to be released) Home Of The Brave. My new book will be called No Ordinary Soldier. My premise is that one C...
Views: 289   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 15, 2011 4:07pm
by Les Rolston
1st Lt. John H. Borger, 12th Iowa Infantry
Searching for letters, journals, and other personal documents referencing the life and military service of 1st Lt. John H. Borger, who served in the Twelfth Iowa Infantry. Born in Germany, he enlisted in 1861 and was captured at the Battle of Shiloh. He survived the...
Views: 274   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 8, 2011 6:21am
by Ron Coddington
Samuel Moore, Iowa, killed 1863 during Civil War
My ggg grandfather, Samuel Wilson Moore, (then from Black Hawk Co., Iowa) was supposedly killed in 1863 while serving with the Union forces in the Civil War. I've been trying for years to find out the exact date and location of his death, but haven't had much luck....
Views: 366   Replies: 2
Last Post: Sep 26, 2011 7:00am
by T.Fazzini
Father and Son in Union Army picture?
http://civilwartalk.com/forums/showthread.php?35603-Photo-of-possible-father-and-son Any ideas of ID Please answear the query
Views: 282   Replies: 0
Last Post: Sep 26, 2011 6:56am
by T.Fazzini
Battle of Dug Springs, MO Ceremony
‘Battle’ of Dugs Springs Event Being Planned by Christian County Historical Society The Christian County Historical Society is planning a observance ceremony for the 150th anniversary of the battle or skirmish at Dug Springs, along the Old Wire Road near...
Views: 252   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 29, 2011 11:16pm
by Len Eagleburger
Joseph Coppoc, Iowa Infantry Major.
Ann Raley, Quaker mother and abolitionist, raised six children in Springdale, Iowa in the 1850's. Her eldest son, Levi, daughter's Maria and Lydia all died of consumption. Edwin Coppoc was hung with John Brown for the Harper's Ferry raid in 1859, Barclay Coppoc escap...
Views: 413   Replies: 3
Last Post: Feb 17, 2011 1:04pm
by Jim Coppoc
Surgeon Finlaw
I'm trying to find some information on a Surgeon Finlaw. I believe he was in the 29th Iowa, and he may have been named WIlliam. Thanks for any help!
Views: 341   Replies: 1
Last Post: Oct 31, 2010 10:35am
by Bob
Iowa MOLLUS
I am looking for an online version of an article that I think appeared in volume 1 of "sketches of Civil War History Read Before the Iowa Commandery of the Loyal Legion of the United States." The article is "Six Months in the Third Cavalry Division Under Custer" -...
Views: 361   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jul 11, 2010 12:15am
by Bryce A. Suderow
Information on 2nd Iowa Cavalry, CO I
My great grandfather - Pvt. Franklin Foley was a trooper in the 2nd Iowa Vol Cavalry, CO I from February 29, 1864- to Mustering out in Sept. 1865. Would be interested in any information on CO I or pictures of 2nd Iowa. Seem to be lots of pictures of CO F but none...
Views: 332   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jul 4, 2010 7:49pm
by George Martin
George Fox, 32nd Iowa Infantry
I am trying to find some information (age, place of enrollment, hometown, etc.) about George Fox of the 32nd Iowa Infantry Regiment. He was mortally wounded on the Little Red River in Arkansas in 1863. We are going to include a photograph of him in a traveling exhibi...
Views: 379   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jun 29, 2010 10:45pm
by Clark Kenyon
150th Anniversary Pin
Is anyone aware of a state agency developing/merchandising 150th civil war anniversary pins/patches,etc?
Views: 302   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 12, 2010 7:30pm
by Walter Kasper
s
Sean
POW
Hello there. My name is Sean and I am researching my great great grandfather Abram Lewis Long. Abe was born in 1840 in Indiana. In 1862 he enlisted in the Army in Iowa. I have found these records. Abram Lewis Long Regiment 39th Iowa Infantry, Company D. My mom h...
Views: 343   Replies: 1
Last Post: May 2, 2010 8:16am
by Clark Kenyon
11th KANSAS CAVALRY
I'm looking for ANY books relating to the 11th KS Cavalry, particularly Company I. One i know of is by Sgt.Issac B. Pennick and another by Kevin B.Johnson. Please help!
Views: 321   Replies: 0
Last Post: Mar 19, 2010 6:51am
by David Hart
great grandfather Amos Pennington Ball
am looking for any info on the iowa voluntiers from the ames area I have 13 letters and the diary of my grandfather Amos Pennington Ball from jefferson barracks mo. approx 1864 any help I would appreciate thank you
Views: 523   Replies: 2
Last Post: Dec 27, 2009 3:35pm
by Shirley Trenary
Camp Pope Auction
You know I've been holding a half-price liquidation sale of my in-print inventory as I prepare to close Camp Pope Bookshop and concentrate solely on book publishing services. The sale applies only to in-print books, but I still need to figure out what to do with my o...
Views: 547   Replies: 0
Last Post: Oct 28, 2009 7:44am
by Clark Kenyon
Looking for burial site of person that died at Columbus, Ky.-1863
Is it possible to locate a specific burial site? Are their any records available or were they buried in mass graves? I have his causualty sheet with cause of death, date etc. from National Archives, but have no clue as to grave location. They do mention a register...
Views: 598   Replies: 2
Last Post: Oct 25, 2009 1:15am
by Phil Wise
8th Iowa Cavalry and CS flag
Hello, There is a large Confederate First National flag held in the Iowa State collections with the word "Independence" on the white bar. A post-war newspaper account states that this flag was captured in Tennessee in 1864 by the 8th Iowa Cavalry. I cannot fin...
Views: 741   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jul 16, 2009 8:05am
by Clark Kenyon
Israel and John Owens, First Iowa African Infantry (60th USCI)
Searching for letters, journals, and other personal and public documents referencing the life and military service of brothers Israel and John Owens, who served as privates in Company C of the First Iowa African Infantry, later the Sixtieth U.C. Colored Infantry. Isr...
Views: 790   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jul 4, 2009 12:12pm
by Ron Coddington
26th Iowa prisoners of waR
Lt Col McGill and a Lt Clark of the 26th Iowa Infantry were apparently captured near Helena, Arkansas in November 1862. Does anyone have any information or details?
Views: 1080   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jan 5, 2009 7:21pm
by John Heseltine
c
Carla
14th Iowa Book
Clark Kenyon, your new book about the 14th Iowa Infantry is really good. Nice looking too. Thanks for putting this out. My favorite part so far is on page 46 of the "Thomas" section, talking about the approach of that special train. Great writing, an amazing scen...
Views: 1084   Replies: 0
Last Post: Dec 24, 2008 6:49am
by Carla
m
Marian
Capt. William W. Fletcher
The 1890 Veterans Census lists William W. Fletcher as Capt, US Ride(?) Rover, deceased, widow Mariah Fletcher of Independence, Jackson Co., MO. Service: 4 Dec 1862 - 18 Feb 1866 Capt. Fletcher, b. VA 1836, lived in Keokuk, Lee Co., IA in 1860, Married Mariah Sul...
Views: 1090   Replies: 2
Last Post: Nov 6, 2008 8:05pm
by Marian
Review of new Camp Pope book: Vanishing Footprints
My conclusion: "... Certainly any researcher or reader with a critical interest in the 22nd Iowa regiment will want to add this volume to his library, but the usefulness of Vanishing Footprints is broader than that. Insights into many obscure Civil War campaigns a...
Views: 1136   Replies: 1
Last Post: Sep 28, 2008 9:55pm
by Jeffry Burden
5th Iowa Cavalry prisoners at Andersonville
In the mid-1890s, Special Examiner A.G. Greenstreet investigated the case of James W. Landon, late of the Fifth Iowa Cavalry, who claimed that he had suffered a gunshot in the left thigh and was captured by Confederates along the Chattahoochee River near Atlanta in t...
Views: 1188   Replies: 0
Last Post: Aug 30, 2008 8:20am
by Ron Coddington
Texas Casualties in the Red River Campaign
People: I've obtained a copy of Alwyn Barr's article on Texas Casualties During the Red River Campaign. Evelyn Rard has created a version that she can email to anyone who wants the article. If interested email Evelyn at Evelyn Rard ecrard@yahoo.com
Views: 1178   Replies: 0
Last Post: Aug 27, 2008 9:16am
by Bryce A. Suderow
Looking for William C Morris and Thomas Morris
I'm trying to locate these two gggrand uncles of mine. This family moved around alot and I think I narrowed it down to them living in Iowa between 1860 and 1870. There are so many morrises its hard to know if I got the right one. They were both born in Springhill, Fa...
Views: 1348   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 12, 2008 8:48am
by MIchael Boss
Henry Luttrell articles
After the Civil War a former trooper from the 10th Missouri Cavalry named Henry Luttrell wrote a series of articles for the St. Louis Republican. I need to find out when that paper published his articles on the Camden Expedition and the May-August 1864 operations...
Views: 1351   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 13, 2008 1:18am
by Bryce A. Suderow
1863 CSA Cannon
I am trying to track down the provenance for a CSA Napolean 12 lb. smooth bore bronze cannon located in Walnut Grove, MO. It was manufactured by the Augusta (GA) Foundry in 1863 (unknown month). Serial Number is #47. It also has "GWR" imprinted on the muzzle, standin...
Views: 1322   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 26, 2008 10:55pm
by Len Eagleburger
8th Iowa Infantry flag
Hello, Does anyone know the presentation date of the flag of the 8th Iowa given to them while they were part of the Memphis garrison? It was presented to them by the loyal people of the city and carried by them through the battle at Spanish Fort, AL in 1865. T...
Views: 1324   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 23, 2008 12:16am
by Greg Biggs
Flags
Was wondering if anyone here has heard anything regarding the flag work that Madaus was working on, called I believe the Southern Cross? Or any info on the work he had on the trans mississippi. Thanks Frank
Views: 1242   Replies: 1
Last Post: Apr 23, 2008 12:13am
by Greg Biggs
Alabama!!!
Hi there! I want to take a moment to tell you about History-forums.com. We offer a wide variety of historical topics from The American Revolution to the Zulu wars and everything else. We are a small but friendly group of people who enjoy talking history as well as...
Views: 1452   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 22, 2008 2:35pm
by Northern Reb
Order No. 11
What units did Ewing use to enforce Order No. 11? Can you suggest a good reference on this topic? Thanks.
Views: 1402   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 11, 2008 3:48pm
by Keith Piontek
William G. Lehigh
William Guild Lehigh, who was a private with the 40th Iowa Infantry, died of disease (measles/cold) at the Camp Pope Regimental Hospital on November 16, 1862. I have tried everything (National Archives, etc.)to find out were he might be buried but cannot locate anyt...
Views: 1366   Replies: 4
Last Post: Jan 21, 2008 12:06pm
by Bob Coyne
Private Edward Coffee, 13th Iowa Infantry
I have a cdv of Private Edward Coffee, 13th Iowa Infantry. I only know that he was wounded at the battle of Shiloh. Any background material would be of interest to me. Thanks, Howard Mann
Views: 340   Replies: 3
Last Post: Jan 2, 2008 8:15am
by Howard Mann
Lt. Col. William H. Coyl
Looking for information on Brevet Lt. Col. William H. Coyl, 9th Iowa Infantry--and Judge Advocate of the Department of Kentucky--wounded at the Battle of Pea Ridge, Arkansas--died 3 November 1866 thank you.
Views: 1242   Replies: 1
Last Post: Dec 4, 2007 4:16pm
by Bob Coyne
Charles Chary{Chery}
I am trying to find anything about a soldier named Charles Chary or Chery? His grave is in my ancestors cemetery which is in West Virginia near Morgantown and on his gravestone is Co.E 5th Iowa Infantry.Don't know who he is or How he would have ended up here so far f...
Views: 1378   Replies: 2
Last Post: Dec 1, 2007 12:03pm
by John Heseltine
Grenville M. Dodge
Does anyone know if Gen. Grenville M. Dodge was related to John and Horace Dodge, the automobile company founders? If not, any suggestions of how to research?
Views: 438   Replies: 2
Last Post: Oct 6, 2007 5:46pm
by e> Shamblen
a
Ann
Needs help
Hi are you intressted to get your photo publish free on a site about American Civil War,or do you have anything els that are relate to the war. I´m trying to do so complet site as possible but it is not easy for a girl from Sweden. Regards Ann
Views: 1319   Replies: 0
Last Post: Sep 26, 2007 7:52am
by Ann
J. Valentine Harbert
Seeking information on J. Valentine Harbert, surname also variously spelled Halbert or Harbort, who enlisted in Company D, Hampton's Legion (S.C.) at Williamston, S.C., and was msutered into Confederate service on 14 Jun 1861. He is shown present on all the msuter r...
Views: 1344   Replies: 2
Last Post: Aug 7, 2007 11:10pm
by Lee Sturkey
Eugene Marshall Diaries - 5th Iowa Cavalry
Hello, I was at Duke University last week and spent time going through the multitude of diaries kept by Eugene Marshall of the 5th Iowa Cavalry. He was one of the men from Minnesota that formed this regiment. If anyone is doing work with this unit and they do...
Views: 897   Replies: 2
Last Post: Aug 5, 2007 6:03pm
by Lee Sturkey
Athens
Clark Just wondering on the status of the Athens book? Frank
Views: 1282   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jul 23, 2007 11:04pm
by Clark Kenyon
Forthcoming 22nd Iowa book
Jeffry Burden, who wrote the introduction to our reprint of Jones's REMINISCENCES OF THE 22ND IOWA has been preparing Samuel Pryce's VANISHING FOOTPRINTS for publication. Pryce was the regimental adjutant and always intended to write the official history of the 22nd...
Views: 1323   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jul 22, 2007 11:04pm
by Clark Kenyon
Jo Shelby's Iron Brigade
Deryl Sellmeyer's long-awaited book appeared on July 15th. It's title is "Jo Shelby's Iron Brigade" and it was published by Pelican Publishing in Louisiana. Bryce A. Suderow
Views: 1347   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jul 22, 2007 6:32pm
by Bryce A. Suderow
official reports of 2nd Colorado Cavalry
Are there any official reports of the 2nd Colorado Cavalry for Price's 1864 Missouri Expedition? I'm excepting Col. Ford's report for his 4th brigade of cavalry. For that matter are there any accounts other than Ellen Williams' book? Bryce A. Suderow
Views: 1302   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 19, 2007 1:43am
by Bryce A. Suderow
1st Lt. James W. Landon, Co. B, 5th Iowa Cavalry
Searching for letters, journals, and other personal and public documents referencing the life and military service of James W. Landon, who served as a first lieutenant in Company B of the Fifth Iowa Cavalry. Born in Pennsylvania about 1838, he lived in Oklahoma in 19...
Views: 1353   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 10, 2007 4:04pm
by Ron Coddington
Austin P. Gillenwaters
I have a photo of an ancestor Austin Puett Gillenwaters (at least it's labeled with his name) and I have learned through research that he served with the 29th Iowa Infantry during the Civil War. The photo shows him in his later years wearing a coat with a medal pinne...
Views: 1277   Replies: 3
Last Post: Jun 9, 2007 11:33am
by Robert Doss
1 2 3 4 5 6
Free Forum powered by Bravenet